Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ride To Karmali Lake


1.2 at the lake
Karmali Lake is birders delight. The lake is situated 10Kms from Goa's capital, Panaji. During the winter more than 20 water bird species land on the lake to feed.

On 29th November I rode to the lake on my 3 months old TREK 1.2 road bike, covering a distance of 23Kms one way from my home town Ponda.

The morning ride was fantastic, I reached the lake at 8.15am and spent an hour listening to the shrill whistles of Lesser Whistling Ducks. Gull Billed Terns swiftly flew in circles close to the water surface. A lone Marsh Harrier Cruised along attempting to catch its breakfast. More species will land by end of December.

I could only spot Purple Moorhens, Bronze Winged Jacana, Pheasant Tailed Jacana, Large Egret, Darter,


Details of the Birds found on the lake Put up by Forest Dept Goa


Purple Moorhen


Bronze Winged Jacana


Lesser Whistling Ducks

No comments: