Monday, September 21, 2009

Buying Trek 1.2, the process and the maiden ride story

Sorry for poor image quality!

Being on the forum like Bikeszone can be hazardous! ya…. I mean it…… reading all those posts by the bloxxx road bikers and all… I had to get a road bike for myself …… there is a huge 44K + hole in my pocket now….haaaa ha… (but its worth it………!).

After beating the trails and the tarmac (in equal proportion) for couple of years on TREK 3700 mountain bike, was it time for me to move on in a different direction? there was no real need to move in different direction! But hey I already mentioned the hazardous effect of being a member of the cycling forum ……I convinced myself that this was the right time to move on in …..

Digging the posts on Bikeszone and the likes for a couple of months, I had LA Urbano, Firefox 2200 and 0050, Merida 880 24 and 901,Trek 1.5 and 1.2, Bianchi C2C Via Nirone on my short list

How TREK 1.2 won…….

My Budget – 45K to 50K

What I wanted in a road bike?

1.Pretty low gear ratios, because the terrain where I ride is all hilly and low gears would be good for touring.

2. Provision for racks and panniers

3. Frame size -50cms

The Selection……

1. The LA URBANO

Pros-price 21,000

Cons –Spec details not available no compact or triple option, no reviews available about the material and ride quality, was locally available only against the order

2. FireFox 2200 and 0050

Pros – Price 24,000 and 15,000 respectively

Cons – No Triple or Compact option, lot of riveiws on poor quality material and components, I had a look at 2200 at LBS it does look good, however the quality and the weight (the weight is almost near to my MTB))held me back…

3. Merida 880 24 and 901

The 880 24

Pros – Price 38,000, Triple 52/42/30 and 11-24, looks good, Merida quality, very good review on Bike Radar

Cons – No provision for racks

The 901

Pros – price 45000, Merida quality, good reviews

Cons – No Triple or Compact option, No provision for racks

4. Bianchi C2C Via Nirone

55,000 beyond my budget!

5. TREK 1.2 and 1.5

Trek 1.5

Pros – Price 48,000, compact 50/34, TREK quality, Carbon forks, light weight (9.25Kg)

Cons – no provision for racks

Trek 1.2

Pros – Price 41,425, compact 50/34, TREK quality, Carbon forks, light weight (9.625Kg), Provision for racks

Cons – Sora group set ….. but hey the other things fit my bill

Discussed with others on the forum (special thanks to RNair) and finally decided to go for 1.2,

Contacted Rohan (Bums On the saddle) and placed the order for 1.2, My friend Tulbir who works in Bangalore picked the bike from BOTS and couriered through GATI to Goa. The courier charges roughly 2000/- and no scratches or other damage in the transit. Thanks Rohan and Tulbir!

The bike was delivered on 19th september. Assembled the bike in 30minutes, only the front derailer needed little tuning, sadly could not go on test ride due to prior commitments. No ride on the following day (20th) it rained the whole day.

The maiden ride

Finally today morning I went out test riding and did 16Kms loop.

This bike reminded the good ol’ college days, when I rode the Atlas concord (Blue color single speed). The bike felt good and comfy! Fits me really well.

After cruising along for a couple of kilometers, enjoying the feel of light weight frame, slim rubbers and the drop handle bars I picked up the speed……………………………………..only to slow down . . . . after a kilometer to go over the bumpy potholed section and again……………………………….

I have not installed the cyclo comp yet, so do not know what top speed I reached. The bike really aaccceeelerrratttteeesss man! Not only I could pick up the speed quickly, but also I could hold on constant high speeed for much longer time compared to the MTB.

I rode the two steep climbs with ease (I would struggle climbing these on 3700 with much lower gear ratio).

My only concern is the Braking Power of this bike, I was really scared to go full speed on the slopes. After expereincing the phenomenal power of V brakes, these ones come across as very weak (any suggestions on increasing the Braking Power?)

Over all a good ride. I am already planning for a century ride, coming weekend!

Am I a convert (MTB to Road bike)?

Hell no! not an absolute one! Mountain bike for the thrill on the trails And road bike for speed on tarmac, I am gonna enjoy best of both the worlds….

14 comments:

Kaustubh said...

that's so punk!!!

ROhan said...

oh yeah .. oh yeah .. every biker should have two bikes ;)

Myndscape said...

ROhan - no! it could be more than two.....

Ganesh said...

Hi, I have recently moved from Bangalore to Curtorim. Close to the Carmel Chapel and High School. Drop in whenever you are around. Enjoyed your posts.

Myndscape said...

Hi Ganesh!
You from Bangalore? great! you into biking? will certainly meet!

Sujit Kolke said...

Hi - Are there eyelets on the frame of your Trek 1,2 for mounting Racks ?

Myndscape said...

Hi SUDONIM!

Yes the 1.2 has eyelets for the rack and for this very reason I purchased the 1.2.

Apart from the eyelets, this is the only bike that has carbon forks in the segment, and the carbon forks do absorb lots of vibrations on rough patches......

Anonymous said...

got your blog from bikezone forum. just the kind of experiences and details that i was seeking from someone in goa. i really dunno if I ought to spend on a road bike as a beginner or should I start off with mountain bike. Covering distances is more important to me than getting off road, though some roads themselves are off-road conditioned.

what do you suggest I go for? I've been hunting trek road bike prices and thankfully found it here. the goan dealer does not stock road bikes but mountain bikes.
i dunno if i'd be able to assemble the bike like you and i don't have anyone in b'lore who'd courier me a bike.
superb photos throughout the blog :)

Myndscape said...

Hi Diabolic!

Where in Goa do you reside?

Nice to know that you are interested in cycling and are looking forward to buying a bike!

If you are interested in covering the distances then I would suggest a ROAD BIKE (I own a mountain bike too)

I know that the Goan dealer does not stock road bikes, neither is interested in ordering one!

Apart from TREK you can have a look at LA URBANO (costs 25K) and JOS CABRAL the cycle dealer from MARGAO can get one for you against order.

As for ordering from Bangalore and assembling the bike I may be able to help you. But you need to know what frame size will fit you!

FOr determining the frame size you need to measure your height, more precisely your INSEAM height, to get more info GOOGLE for ROAD BIKE FIT CALCULATOR.

FOr any further info you can email me at ajd2k7@yahoo.co.in

Diabolic Preacher said...

Please find my answers inline

Hi Diabolic!

Where in Goa do you reside?

Ponda :) - DP

Nice to know that you are interested in cycling and are looking forward to buying a bike!

hazardous effect of bikeszone, I say. I just changed my mind from getting a motorbike to a pedalbike ;) - DP

If you are interested in covering the distances then I would suggest a ROAD BIKE (I own a mountain bike too)

Is road bike good for elevations in Ponda. Roads are often off-road conditioned, as I mentioned. I think I'll keep road bike for a latter time, as I'm new to handling and maintaining such a precious thing. :) - DP

I know that the Goan dealer does not stock road bikes, neither is interested in ordering one!

Ahh! I emailed the guy who's the all-india distributor. So I can (theoretically) get the required bike model delivered to the goan dealer to buy from. - DP

Apart from TREK you can have a look at LA URBANO (costs 25K) and JOS CABRAL the cycle dealer from MARGAO can get one for you against order.

I thought they had a shop in Ponda too. I'd preferably want to see the stuff I'm gonna buy, as it is asking for a test ride would be too much unless its BOTS :) - DP

FOr determining the frame size you need to measure your height, more precisely your INSEAM height, to get more info GOOGLE for ROAD BIKE FIT CALCULATOR.

This is the burning question literally.
You mean MTB's don't have this frame size concept? only for road bikes?

Does bikeszone have a FAQ/sticky post on this? I got your blog address from your profile there though. :)

Myndscape said...

You stay in Ponda? great! join on my rides when you purchase the bike!

ROAD bikes are generally faster and lighter than MTBs. However one advantage of MTB is, it can ride on ROAD TOO, though slower! ROAD BIKE can never be taken on trails!

The bike fit is important for MTB also, generally MTB frame size is 2 inches smaller than road bike size for you!

JOS CABRAL has a shop in Ponda too! but do not stock LA bikes!

You will find a sticky post on Bikeszone here http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3268

Anonymous said...

really an eye opener for me.

- Robson

Venkat Rajmohan said...

Hi..your blog made me lean more towards 1.2..liked your comparison.
I am moving from a hybrid to road bike. Well I liked this post for the reason that it reminded me of my blue concorde bike used during by high school days!!!

Myndscape said...

Hi Venkat !
the 1.2 is good value for money and enjoing it even more after 1+ years